02 April 2019

Public Art of the 1980s


In Leah Triplett Harrington’s articles, “Seachange: Public Art in the 1980s” (2018) and “In Review: Terrain Biennial” (2017) the art historian looks at site-specific works and the ways in which the art interacts with the space and the public. The surge of public art in the 1980s was part of revitalization efforts in some areas and a way of preserving a sense of place. While Harrington focuses on Boston, MA, my thoughts turn to my home city, Lowell, MA, and how art is still vital in the revitalization of the Mill City.  After the founding of the Lowell National Historical Park, public art became ways to anchor not only the park but also the city in honoring the past while making improvements for the future. I suppose this idea applies to many permanent public art installations, although there are some works hold no historical or cultural references.
Some public works of art blend into the background, noticeable only when a viewer takes the time to pay attention to the environment in which they work or live. Harrington points to a few of these works, such as Buster Simpson’s Situations (1981) and Kate Burke and Greg Lefevre’s Boston Bricks (1985), and asks if we noticed. Having visited Boston multiple times since 1981, I am unable to say I noticed Situations against a wall at the Downtown Crossing T-stop, although I recall chuckling at Burke and Lefevre’s “You Are Here” brick that almost blends in to the brick-paved sidewalk. That noticeability, or lack thereof, seems important although I am unsure how.
Again, I think about the works in Lowell and wonder how many people never noticed newer works like Stele for the Merrimack (1996) by Peter Gourfain even though the work is located near a major intersection? Then I realize the work is tucked away, almost hidden by a local credit union’s office building. Does the canal-side location provide more context for the work or is that context lost due to the out-of-the-way site? These questions relate more to my reading of “In Review: Terrain Biennial” than to “Seachange: Public Art in the 1980s.” In the review, Harrington discusses questions of barriers and the invisible lines between public and private exhibition spaces. The location of Stele for the Merrimack can be confused for private property, not a public space, if a tourist approaches from the downtown area, reducing the visibility by way of an invisible (and non-existent) parameter. In contrast, the works of Terrain Biennial were located on private citizens’ lawns yet accessible to the public.
During a UML special guest lecture given by Harrington, she also spoke about regionalism and regional arts scenes, which reminded me of our visit and discussion with Maxine Farkas. In Lowell, we have artists that produce works including the defunct mills as focal points or backgrounds. The red brick buildings towering, looming, or implied depending on composition, simultaneously present and not. In many ways, embedded in those visualizations are the stories of this city, through the past lives of the mills, present uses, and future dreams. I think the same holds true for public art of the 1980s.